Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Fish, Fun & Firefly

So we have new pets in bedside aquariums, compliments of our thoughtful and creative Activities Coordinator, Michelle. Devin named his Sharkie, and here's mine, who I named Firefly -- that is the set of DVDs I happen to be watching now. (Lucky for the fish he didn't arrive while I was watching Burn Notice.)

Firefly
Any other Firefly folk reading along? As a sci-fi devotee, I am not sure how I missed the Serenity cult up to this point... but Kevin (remember him from the past Lunar Study post?) was about the umpteenth person to express surprise that I'd never seen the show, and recommended it. Hey, he walked into my room wearing a Star Trek T-shirt, I took him for trustworthy!

They could triple the price of this series and people would still buy it for Morena Baccarin alone. Always awesome Adam Baldwin is in the cast, which I never knew... and a scruffy-looking nerf-herder named Nathan Fillion, who looks like a hockey player. Score.

Interestingly, seems STS-117 astronaut Steven Swanson was a fan; he took the Firefly DVD set with him on Space Shuttle Atlantis last year to the International Space Station, where it remains in the ISS Mission Library.

NASA Astronaut Swanny
In other news, I'll address curious readers of past comments/emails, and first off, let me express a stunned and sincere thank you to everyone who offered to send me books and DVDs. However, with the kind of influx of I must politely but appreciatively decline at this point, I'd have to be here for a solid year to get through it all. I already have more media and printed matter than I have clothing!

My Activites List, shows all the books I'm finally catching up on! At present, I am halfway through a mediaeval history collection about 13th Century England and Wales, which follows the battles between King Henry III, his son Edward I, and the last Welsh ruler, Prince Llywelyn ap Gruffydd ... before the land of Gwynedd (pronounced "Gwyneth," a territory of northern Wales) was subdued, and the title "Prince of Wales" shifted to the eldest son of the English Monarchy.

Light reading. You asked. Next up, more Sci-Fi.

Favorite Firefly Quote:
"How come you don't care where you're going?"
"Because how you get there is the worthier part."


16 comments:

Clarice said...

Oh Arch - I'm SO SORRY I never turned you onto Firefly!! But I'm happy to hear you've discovered it now :^) Please tell me you're a fan of Stargate SG-1???

Cheers, Clarice

Thursday's Child said...

We love Firefly and Serenity! My brother sent Firefly to me a year ago Christmas. We loved it and hated when we finished the last one. Then he got my son Serenity for his birthday last year. He was 10 years old and practically sitting on me when the Reavers came on. LOL

Joe said...

I too am a Browncoat. From the first scant promos that FOX showed I was ready for this show. I would tape it while I watched and then re-watch it the next day. I loved the dialog. It was so witty and clever. I mourned its cancellation and eagerly awaited the movie. I still check in on the old websites and see what is still going on in the 'verse. There are so many great lines, I can't think of a favorite, but may have to do some surfing to find one. I loved Jayne (Adam Baldwin) and all the funny things he did and said.

You go girl!

Joe
Pasadena, MD

Barbie said...

If you enjoy Firefly, you must watch Joss Whedon's newest project: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Nathan Fillion is the cast.

Anonymous said...

Steven Swanson, rockin' the Steamboat tee (he's from Steamboat Springs, CO - Ski Town USA!).

I subscribed to your blog's RSS feed several weeks ago and have been reading religiously since then (I admire your willingness to help NASA, a worthy effort to be sure), so imagine my surprise when I saw the Steamboat shirt (it's covered by the Serenity DVD, but still very noticeable). You'll have to come visit us when you escape!

Bill said...

Uh oh. You opened the floodgate by talking about Firefly. ;) Yep, I'm a Browncoat too. Welcome to the verse! And since you're taking recommendations, if you haven't seen it yet you should also check out Babylon 5.

Anonymous said...

Best Firefly quote:
Bendis: We're gonna die.
Mal: We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. And you know why? Because we are so..very... pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die.

Mrs. L said...

Ah yes, Firefly, Serenity... I can't even tell you how many times we've seen each episode. Looks great on HD. Oh yes, Babylon 5 fan here and I have both the summer Stargate movies. Eureka? Love it...okay, I'm a sci-fi fan married to a sci-fi nut, what can I say :)

Pete said...

AH, a new Flan. Come chat!
http://update.multiverse.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=16&theme=multiverse

Mitch L said...

Mal: It looks like we arrived just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

GO BROWNCOATS! You could not possibly be doing anything better with your time.

barbie2be said...

wait, did you say adam baldwin is in firefly? i love him. he was one of the most interesting people i met at the celebrity hockey game a million years ago. well, him and alex trebec. he seemed shocked that i knew he wasn't a baldwin. hehehehe. loved him in "the cape".

Matt said...

I *heart* Firefly

Seriously, my wife and I watch an episode or so every night. Yes, there are only 14, plus the movie, but that was the best SciFi show ever to grace TV with its presence.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Jaynestown is the funniest 45 minutes of scifi ever.

Have you found the easter egg on the last disc with Adam singing "The Hero of Canton"?

Joe said...

More Firefly quotes then you can shake a stick at.

http://www.thehallway.net/fireflyquotes/

marci said...

Firefly is fabulous. I made Kaylee's "layer cake" dress (from the shindig episode) for a scifi convention a couple of years ago.

You might want to also check out Joss Whedon's latest, "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog," at www.drhorrible.com.

Ryan and Amy said...

Gosh, I'm almost embarrassed that I have not watched Firefly. I have to echo what Clarice said though.. PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE A FAN OF STARGATE!!!!

PillowNaut said...

Lively day! Will address queries and such in the next Q&A if Devin and I can find some time together... but just wanted to thank everyone for all the comments and suggestions! :) Browncoats, huh? Yeah, brown isn't my color... I guess I need to find the fan club where everyone dresses up like the shuttle hottie ;)