Saturday, May 9, 2009

Web Trekking

My brain usually shuts off around 8:30pm in terms of writing anything coherent. If I was at home, this is where I'd be winding down, unplugging hardware and reading before going to bed. Around here, I need to find ways to prop my droopy eyes open until the 10:00pm lights-out announcement over the intercoms.

Brain-candy surfing or DVDs are all I can process. Last night, I watched "A Beautiful Mind," which was excellent. I never saw it in 2001 when it was released, or in 2002 when it won Best Picture. (Apparently I'm the only gal on the planet who doesn't die-scream-faint when she sees Russell *yawn* Crowe.) Turns out it was totally worth it, despite his homely mug.

Tonight, I'm meandering through the vaaaaast networks of Star Trek sites. The nerdiverse is all abuzz with joy over the new movie (which was SUPPOSED to be released last December, don't get me started). I'm trying to enjoy the articles without stumbling over major plot spoilers -- not easy.

Warp Drive
Then I found an actual "NEWS" item about how Trek's warp drive isn't impossible. It was on Yahoo, FOX and other hubs... but I thought the best version was the article on Space.Com -- in the "business technology" section, no less.

Classic Quote:
"The idea is that you take a chunk of space-time and move it," said Marc Millis, former head of NASA's Breakthrough Propulsion Physics Project. "The vehicle inside that bubble thinks that it's not moving at all. It's the space-time that's moving."


Still doesn't cough up a reason for how Star Trek can travel like a dorkzillion light years in any direction and trip over multi-colored upright bipeds who inexplicably speak better English than most of the starship crew. Find a way for THAT to be possible, and I'm on board :)