Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Space Photos of the Year


Shamelessly using this week's theme as an excuse to publish this picture, which I would distribute every day if I could.

Heather with Shuttle Atlantis
Dream. Come. True.

That's me. That's Space Shuttle Atlantis. I was photographed with this beautiful orbiter on July 7th of this year, whilst cavorting with numerous other space enthusiasts, journalists and KSC workers.

The following morning, I laughed I cried I watched in awe as she took to the skies for the final time, providing the curtain call to the Space Shuttle Program.

STS-135 Launch
I still cannot believe I took this photograph.

It took days to sink in. Actually, it took weeks to sink in. Someone recently tweeted the 6-month anniversary of the launch, and I realized it is still sinking in.

It was my great honor and joy to witness this amazing piece of human history in the year 2011.


ChildeJake said...

Thank you SO much for sharing it with those of us who couldn't be there. It was fun to follow your adventure and it added to my appreciation of the final launch. Very emotional event.

Sci-Fi Gene said...

I think I might be in love

(with Atlantis...)