Friday, December 30, 2011

Space Moment of the Year

Share

It's rare that I quote the words of others on my blog, since I prefer to share my own musings. Occasionally, however, I find something so stirring that I ask the author for permission to share. In most cases, this has taken the form of op-ed type paragraphs, photographs from space events, or journal entries from studies.

Featuring a poem is definitely a first! But I found this beautiful piece of writing so elegant, so profound, and so very moving, I thought I would make it my final post for 2011.

 a=

"This piece was built using Adobe Photoshop CS5. The background image is of the "Black Eye Galaxy" M64. Image credit goes to NASA and The Hubble Heritage Team (AURA/STScI), with acknowledgments to S. Smartt (Institute of Astronomy) and D. Richstone (U. Michigan).

The poem is my creation--inspired largely by reading Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson's excellent book Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries." ~ Jake