Thursday, December 10, 2009

Scott's Own Words

Share

Greetings!
I first discovered the bedrest study last year when it was covered by a local news station (and considering we live in Florida, I have to ask, "How is this a local story?") Anyway, I thought it was pretty neat, but was under the impression that I had missed my chance.

Fast-forward to six months ago when I read about the study on Gizmodo, which in turn linked to a Popular Science article featuring our very own Heather. I called the phone number, left a voicemail, and the next day, there was an e-mail waiting for me with attached application forms. (Insert your own joke about government efficiency here.)

Pillownauts on Gizmodo
After visiting Quest Diagnostics for blood tests, I flew to Houston twice: once for my physical, and later for what I call a meet 'n’ greet (actually a detailed Q&A session followed by a "Day in the Life" tour of UTMB). Then, one day at work, I got the official call: I finally had a start date. I gave my boss one week's notice, spent the next week training my replacement (I assume he worked out since they haven't called begging me to come back), and my folks took me to the airport.

My family has supported me every step of the way (jokes notwithstanding). My grandfather was about to tell people that his grandson was training to be an astronaut, but I had to tell him it was just for a study (a very important and worthwhile study, I should add). One of my aunts kept referring to it as a "sleep study" but I can assure you, this is quite the opposite.

As of this writing, I am on Day 23. It's been quite an adventure. The thought of being subjected to needles (voluntarily!) is enough to make most people's skin crawl, but as I'm fond of telling the nurses when it's time for my daily assessments: "Let's do it!"

Click here for part 5 and part 6 of my ongoing journal entries...